Sport is a vital and exciting part of life at Ridgeway Academy. We believe it is essential in nurturing skills, confidence and a lifelong love of sporting activities.
Key Stage 3
The curriculum is built on key stage 2 and develops the core skills Ridgeway Academy feel are important to our students in order for them to ‘succeed and excel’ in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities.
All students receive two one hour lessons a week. Throughout the year all students will experience a wide range of physical activities. students follow courses in various activities such as athletics, football, dance, gymnastics, trampolining, basketball, rugby, hockey, netball, tennis, cricket, rounders, badminton, volleyball and health related fitness.
These activities are taught in single sex classes where students follow a programme of study that aims to develop both fitness and skill level for all. Examples of rotations that a student would expect to study can be seen below:
Welcome to the PE Faculty – Subject Leader: Mr J Chappell
Extra-Curricular and Enrichment Programme
The Department has an extensive enrichment programme offered to ALL students across the school. During the week there is a regular programme of well supported clubs and activities competing in a variety of inter-school sport competitions ranging from local, regional and national competitions. The PE department support this with inter-house competitions in a range of activities.
The department also offer clubs to encourage a greater number of students to just simply enjoy taking part in physical activity in order to improve their individual performance and understanding of the importance of physical activity. The PE Department have been recognised for their commitment to school sport through achieving the Gold School Games Mark.
The department organise a Mental Health week offering activities to encourage and promote mental health in young people; the week will culminate in a whole school Charity ‘Ridgeway Run’ challenging students to participate in a 5K multi-terrain run around the local area whilst also raising money for worthy causes.
The PE Department also takes part in many enriching sporting experiences, for example, trips to watch sporting events and sports tours abroad. At Ridgeway Academy we feel strongly that these trips are a valuable part of the students’ whole school experience and entitlement. Aside from encouraging positive and rewarding relationships with other students and staff, these experiences make students feel a part of our school and it develops their sense of belonging and pride. There is also an annual gym and dance display and sports presentation evening.
In addition, the department raise money for several national charity initiatives. Most recently, the PE Department organised Sport Relief Week raising £4340.02.
Finally, the PE Department run a very successful Sports Leadership Academy, striving to give all students opportunity. Students currently have the following opportunities:
- Year 10 Gold Ambassadors – focus on in-house leadership and developing their leadership skills. Follow a scheme of work across the academic year.
- Year 9 Silver Ambassadors – work in the local primary schools and introduction to leadership skills. Follow a scheme of work across the academic year.
- Year 9 Emerald Ambassadors – focus on improving behaviour and confidence within school and introduction to leadership skills. Lead interform competitions to Year 7 and 8.
- Sports Leaders – Across Year 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 a variety of students assist events with our primary schools and Level 2 Secondary Competitions.
Percentage of total students involved in leadership opportunities in the 2018-19 Academic Year – 29%
Ridgeway Academy has excellent sporting facilities:
- Sports hall (4 badminton size junkers sprung flooring).
- 91.3×53.8 Floodlit all weather pitch.
- Extensive playing fields comprising of 5 football, 3 seven-a-side and 1 rugby pitch.
- 1 cricket square and 1 full size athletics track.
- Refurbished gymnasium and changing rooms.
- 2 Air Conditioned Dance studios.
- Health and fitness suite.
- 2 classrooms for exam subjects.
- 3 Tennis Courts.
- 2 halls suitable for badminton and volleyball.
As a thriving community school, the existing PE facilities are used daily by our primary feeder schools, the local community and various community groups.
PE Department Autumn Term Club List 2022
Department Social Media
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/ridgewaypedept/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/RidgewayPEDept/